Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The Soaring Little Life



Today, I asked a co-worker how to write my Japanese name, Shōsei, in Kanji. I found out that there are two different possible ways it can be written.

翔生
Soaring Life

Little Life


As I thought about the meanings of these possibilities, I felt that I connected closely with both of them.

"Soaring Life," because for all my life I have been moving from place to place; never settling and never stopping to take root. I actually hate being in one place for too long, there comes a point where I can't stand it and I just need to get up and go. But this kanji for soaring means more than just "flying," it's flying with power and majesty!

"Little Life," not because I think my life will be "short," but I interpret it more as "a little living being." Maybe my name is the reason why I'm so small. We will never know.

That being said, I believe that when I write it I'll be using 翔生 even though I connect with both. I hear it's the more common kanji used in names with "shō," so most likely that's the correct way to write it.








Visit T.J.'s profile on Pinterest.



SHARE this page with friends!




No comments:

Post a Comment